step into...

your soon-to-be favourite music portal, think friendster, myspace, facebook, ringo, multiply and such... all but none of that stuff!

we are the dancing element in Bollywood movies. we are the RM1.60 toll on any goddamn KL road. we are the flying+toppled+burning car accident on federal highway. we are the curry to roti canai. we're Ron Burgundy's mustache.

just like music to anyone's soul, we're significant.


Zigs Picks

Ziggawahwah

Shout it out to us here!

Ziggg Us!

Wanna get personal?
Then Zigggg us with an email!
zigsmusix@gmail.com



Where Have They Gone?

We're back on track with the locals this week. That's how it's gonna work on Zigs...we feature international and local bands/musicians/artists anything music related, you name it...we're not gonna be biased.

I think I'm lucky cause my parents have always been music lovers. What got me into local music was this 80s band called Freedom. I can't remember how exactly but I actually went to their mini concert in PJ Hilton when I was barely 5 or so but I do remember vaguely how it went. I loved Ghani the long-haired guitarist and always told everyone I'd marry him. I always picked up the phone and called him up when in fact I dialed various wrong numbers and even THE POLICE!!! (no kidding) My maid freaked out and had to apologise, for Ghani's sake. The band is brilliant and no one can beat Seha with that low husky voice, it's quite rare for any Malaysian singers to own that sort of tone these days. The other vocalist was Abang Shuaib, with that Hindustani hero moustache I remember. Those were the days. We lost Seha in October 2006, sadly...but no doubt her music and Freedom will always remind me of my childhood days. Here's one of my favourite songs from them. click
Another "local band" sortof with Aishah in it was Aishah and the Fan Club. I'd sing to "Call me, Call me..." any time of day and always wanted to have big curls with biker jackets. Mum never let me. Such a shame. Sensation was my favourite album from them! Aishah is still singing these days, more local tunes and still sounding like a nightingale. If you love them too, I found this facebook group a tribute to this band!
How awesome is that?

My one and only local HERO: P.Ramlee.
This man is truly an irreplaceable talent. He's genuinely gifted I can't describe how in love I am with his music. Til' this day I still watch his movies and sing all his tunes. There's so many beautiful songs, lyrics, melodies that he's composed that I can't seem to even pick my favourite. How can anyone be so amazing? P.Ramlee definitely brought an impact to the Malaysian music industry with his remarkable talents. He's definitely one that inspires me and I'm sure it's not just me. There's this Australian man by the name Raymond Cook who actually covers P.Ramlee's songs on youtube too. Brilliant! We certainly have something to be proud of as Malaysians. No one will match up to this legend, that's for sure. Here's one of my favourites. click I think the lyrics are poetically beautiful.

What has become of our local scene today? What can we really make of it?
We shall continue inspiring one another, and I know we are capable of doing so. I've seen many talents out there. This post is a salute to all the local talents. Let's be brave and let our passion drive us to better our music industry.
Malaysia boleh rock!!! ;)
Zigs boleh rock jugak!!! ;)

0 comments: